Uninsured or Underinsured Drivers

Drivers are required to carry a certain amount of insurance coverage in case of a motor vehicle accident. However, many drivers ignore this requirement, cannot afford insurance, or don't carry enough insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage is a type of insurance that covers bodily injuries received in an accident with a driver who is legally responsible for the injuries, but who doesn't have any insurance coverage. Underinsured motorist insurance covers bodily injuries from an accident with a driver who has liability insurance, but that insurance coverage is lower than the injured person's underinsured motorist insurance coverage. It is important to contact a lawyer experienced in personal injury claims as soon as possible if you have been in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver so that you don't waive any of your legal rights.

Uninsured Drivers

Generally, uninsured motorist insurance covers people injured in an accident with a driver who doesn't have any insurance. Uninsured motorist insurance may also cover hit-and-run accidents where the other driver isn't identified. A person who has uninsured motorist insurance and is an accident with an uninsured driver may be able to receive compensation for their injuries from their own insurance company. If you have been in an accident with an uninsured driver, contact an experienced personal injury attorney before you file your insurance claim to make sure that you obtain all of the available compensation.

Contact a Iowa motor vehicle accident lawyer representing clients in Fort Dodge, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation.

Underinsured Drivers

Underinsured motorist insurance covers injured persons when the responsible driver does not have enough insurance to fully compensate the injured person for all of his or her injuries. If a person purchases the very minimum amount of insurance coverage required by law, they may be an underinsured driver. If compensation for your injuries is greater than the insurance coverage available from the responsible driver's insurance policy, you may be able to obtain the difference from your own insurance company.

Collecting Damages

To be compensated under uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance, the injured party has to prove that (1) he or she endured significant injuries and (2) the other driver was responsible for the accident. If the accident was with an underinsured driver, the injured party must also collect the maximum amount allowed under the other driver's insurance policy before the injured party can collect the rest of the injury compensation from his or her own insurance company.

If you are injured in an accident with a driver who doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance, uninsured or underinsured motorists insurance may cover your injuries. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer if you have been in an accident and do not settle with the other driver's insurance company. Some insurance companies are not required to pay under your underinsured motorist insurance policy if you have already settled with the other driver's insurance company. Your lawyer can provide you with all of the information and assistance you need to get the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries.

If you would like to schedule a initial consultation contact an Iowa car / auto / motorcycle / boat injury attorney, representing clients in Fort Dodge, Iowa at the Kutmus, Pennington & Hook, P.C. Office Give us a call at (515) 288-3339 or complete our inquiry form.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Personal Injury Attorneys

  • pi-slide-mark
  • pi-slide-trever

Contact Us Today!

Representative Clients

  • rc-003
  • rc-002
  • rc-001